Saturday, March 15, 2008

like christina belts...

back to basics.

i recently discovered etsy, a website that houses tons and tons of crafty, homemade things. nicole turned me on to it. after spending many hours perusing merchandise, it reminded me of how much i used to love making things. it goes way back to my childhood, making barbie clothes, fashioning things from fabric, paper, trinkets, you name it.

today, i went to artist xchange, a gallery in the mission district. seeing beautiful artwork and handmade crafts, i recalled my forgotten passion for ceramics. at alamo heights hs, the high school i attended in san antonio, mrs. carol ackles supported my passion for ceramics and let me continue the entire semester completing my ceramics projects, while other students followed the original schedule of 6-weeks per medium. i enjoyed the special attention i received, at the same time, i missed out on other mediums like silkscreening.

post-high school, my dream was to open up my own boutique store and sell handmade ceramic pieces. my friend korissa chimed in and said she'd partner because she was planning to major in business. along the way, some people in my life did not support the career of art. how could i make a living from ceramics? i let their opinions change my path and followed the rest of the crowd to graphic design. next thing i knew, eight years have passed and i lost my passion for what i used to love, very primitive art, AND i no longer had an interest in graphic design either.

today, i decided i need to go back to the basics: manual art and crafts. no more computer-generated art (though i still enjoy it). i'm planning to sign up for some classes at city college of SF so i can go back to doing what i love.

2 comments:

Tina Cantina said...

Hooray! T and T front yard sale. I'll totally come by and support your ceramic wares!

Nicole Wise said...

I know, etsy is great isn't it??? I agree, it gets my creative energy flowing too. How exciting to hear you plan on taking art classes. Hmmmm, this has reminded me of my desire to take art classes too.